time: about 1 hour
makes: 6 cups
serves: 4 very generous bowls or 6-8 modestly
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups half-n-half
- 3 cups broccoli tops, bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup broccoli stems, bite-sized pieces
- 7 oz carrots, bite-sized pieces
- salt, pepper, paprika, mustard powder
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- garnishes: extra shredded cheese and chives
- In a small saucepan combine 1 tablespoon butter with the onion and garlic, saute over medium heat, stirring constantly. When the onion is see-through, turn off and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter and then add the flour. Whisk until well combined and thick.
- To the flour mixture, slowly add the vegetable broth. Then slowly add the half and half. You want to whisk constantly while adding these ingredients.
- Simmer this mixture over low heat for 15-20 minutes. You want it to become reduced and thickened. Whisk every few minutes to re-incorporate the film that forms on top.
- Add the broccoli tops, broccoli stems, and carrots. Also, add the sauteed onions and garlic from earlier.
- Season the soup with the salt, pepper, paprika, and mustard powder to your taste preference.
- Simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes. Whisk every few minutes.
- Add the shredded cheese slowly. I would add some cheese and then stir it in and then add more and stir that it… until all the cheese was mixed in.
- Garnish with extra shredded cheese and chives.
– The Martin’s Kitchen –